Weekly Fangirl Fetish: Eleanor and Park

Let me just say, it is currently a crazy busy time in my life. Because we are moving, we are living in a two room apartment. Don't get me wrong, I love my family to death and it's a super nice apartment, but it can get a bit squishy. Plus, between the six of us, we only have one computer, so it will be a bit harder to keep up with my blog. Although, I have been able to read a lot of great books, so hopefully I will be able to upload a lot more reviews.

{Now, onto this week's fangirl fetish...}

I have been hearing some pretty great things about Rainbow Rowell's book Eleanor and Park. Even John Green has had some high praise for it, so I knew I had to read this. Little did I know how absolutely adorable of a book it would be. As the title so kindly explains, the story focuses on two characters - Eleanor and Park, both misfits, both going through struggles of their own. Eleanor has a broken family, and all Park wants is for his dad to approve of him. When they first meet, it definitely is nothing like love at first sight, but as time goes on they fall into a unique and confusing spiral of an experience that one can only describe as falling in love for the first time.
And to be honest, I felt like I was falling in love right along with them. Their relationship is so unique and so different that it made this book such a fresh and inspiring read. Both characters learn new things about themselves through each other. Rowell wrote such a real representation of love. Eleanor is nowhere near the perfect, beautiful, skinny girl that haunts the minds of every woman in our society, and to read about Eleanor's experience of having someone finally accept her as she is, to call her beautiful when she so completely did not fit our culture's standard was really life-changing for me. Through Eleanor's own story, I learned how to accept who I am as a person. I have much to thank Rainbow Rowell for.

Do be warned...there are LOTS of cuss words. All used for good reasons, of course, and if you read the book, you'll find out why. But if you are squeamish about reading that kind of stuff, then you might not want to start this book. However, the beauty of the story outweighs the cussing, and I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone who loves a heart-warming, love-spreading, melt-in-your-mouth-chocolate type story.



Lots of love,
Madison

Comments

Popular Posts