Weekly Fangirl Fetish: Why We Broke Up

There is an infinity amount of romance novels in the world, but very few ever make the cut of being an original and exciting read. I can't tell you how many times I've come across a cheesy or unrealistic love story, and bless the poor soul who publishes yet another vampire love triangle. But I have never, ever read a story quite like Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler. It tells the truth about relationships, and though you get to experience another beautifully crafted love story by the name of Min and Ed, you know by the very title that the beloved characters do not get a happy ending, which added such a thrill to the book. You just had to found out exactly what happened that caused them to break up.
I wouldn't necessarily call this a book. I would call Why We Broke Up a really long letter written by Min (short for Minerva) to her ex-boyfriend, and her first love, Ed. With her letter she includes a box of things she had collected while they were dating, little trinkets from dates or events that had been significant in their relationship. She wants to give it all back to him and make him realize  how much he has taken away from her. In her letter, she explains each trinket. She gives the story behind it, and a reason of why they broke up.
In all honesty, I can't exactly pin down what I liked about the story. I just found the whole book so compelling. It contained absolutely beautiful writing, and it made the thing whole better when I found out that the author, Daniel Handler, is also LEMONY SNICKET!!!!!! I was so surprised, but it definitely explained the great quality of writing. I highly highly highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys John Green or Rainbow Rowell's work.
Lots of love,
Madison

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts