Dear Freshmen Madison

Honestly, it's going to take a while for me to get used to the fact that I'm in high school. I'll probably be graduating senior year and my mind will finally exclaim, "Oh, yeah! You're in high school now!" Time is flying by way too fast. It's crazy.

For part of my final project for my English class, I decided to write a letter to my freshmen self giving advice on how to survive freshmen year. It's kind of personal, but I mainly have this blog for myself, so I can keep track of what I learn and what I do with my life. I want to be able to look back and "watch myself grow up," in a way. So don't feel like you have to read this. It might help those who are in fact upcoming freshmen, or those who tend to be on the shyer side. I think I have some okay suggestions and advice to give, but that is, of course, all up to you.


{My first day of freshmen year...not a great pic, but...whatever}


Dear Freshmen Madison,
You have got a pretty big year ahead of you. You’re going to figure out a lot about yourself, as well as things you need to admit to yourself in order to do your best. Freshman year is going to be exactly what you make of it. If you decide to be nervous and shy this whole year, then you are probably not going to meet a ton of new friends and your grades are probably going to suffer. I suggest you try something new from your same shy personality; I suggest you be spontaneous this year.
Teachers are going to be very different, as well as your classes. Just because you are in all honors classes doesn’t mean that everyone is going to want to learn. There are going to be kids that distract the teachers, and there are going to be teachers who easily get distracted. Do not let that bother you. You are going to have to learn to fend on your own in these classes. You need to admit that you are going to have to ask a teacher for help, because if you aren’t understanding a class, you won’t be able to just go home and teach it to yourself. Seriously, don’t be afraid to do it, and do it sooner rather than later. Your grades will suffer if you don’t ask for help. It will also help you get on the better sides of the teacher. By being as shy as you normally are, teachers will just assume that you don’t care about your grade in their class. Don’t let them think that. You know you’re a good student, so prove it.
Be prepared for everything and anything. West Potomac is very different from School of the Arts, and you need to learn how to accept it. You need to try to talk to anyone who seems like they want to talk to you. Get out there a little more. Join some clubs. Being around people who share the same interests as you is a sure-fire way to make a good friend. Make sure you have a good organization system as well. You don’t want to spend two hours on a homework assignment and then show up to class only to realize you accidentally put it in the wrong binder and left it at home. In high school, every little assignment counts, and you don’t want to get a bad grade on it just because you forgot it. Be prepared to study harder as well. You won’t be able to ace the test just by paying attention in class in high school. The tests gets harder, and that means that you need to put more effort into studying. Basically, put more effort into everything. The teachers don’t hold your hand, and you’re going to have to figure out what you need to do on your own.
Most importantly, don’t be worried about anything. You are going to be totally and completely fine. There are going to be many times where you feel like you have no control over anything that is happening. You are going to miss all of your friends a ton, and there are going to be points where you feel like you don’t have any real friends. Don’t even think twice about it. You are surrounded by so many people who love you and you are going to have an amazing year.  Just be completely yourself, and you’ll do just fine.
Good luck,
Madison

Comments

  1. If I wrote a letter to myself, I would tell myself when all the pop quizzes were.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts