Mad Love

I have to say that this book contained a very original story. It probably isn't one of my favorite books, but the writing was fairly good quality and the characters were very well built throughout the story.
Mad Love is about a girl named Alice whose mother is an extremely popular romance novelist. Everyone is waiting for her next book to come out, but the only problem is, Alice's mother, the Queen of Romance, is in a mental hospital. Alice knows that she is running out of money to pay the bills and that soon someone will step up to replace her mother as the Queen of Romance, but she has no idea how to write a book, especially not one under her mother's name. That is, until one day a mysterious boy named Errol appears, asking her to write his story for the whole world to read. He claims to be Cupid, and he wants his love story to be told. Alice isn't sure if she will be able to capture his story in time before people begin to figure out her biggest secret, or if she will be able to get her own life sorted out enough to properly write someone else's.

I wasn't completely impressed with this book. Though I loved the idea and the plot line, I felt like it was harder to connect with the characters and the story in general. The story went by too fast for me, and I had a hard time completely understanding what was going on with the characters and the story. One of the characters is also dealing with self-loathing problems. She wears baggy clothing and starves herself, but she is very mean to Alice. However, I felt like this character was put in very bad light and was treated very badly throughout the book. Often, the characters shrugged her off as someone who just wanted attention, and the author made her seem very desperate, needy, and in some ways, almost evil. I do not think this was a particularly good way to handle this character, especially since she's going through a situation that is a very big problem with today's society. It really bugged me the entire book, and I think that is its biggest flaw.

I do, however, appreciate the fact that this is an entirely different story, something that stands completely on its own. I have never read anything quite like it.





Also, I have a random song recommendation. I may just start doing this randomly, because sometimes I really enjoy curling up with a good book while listening to an awesome song. If you ever have a song recommendation and/or a book recommendation, feel free to comment!!!! Anyways, my song recommendation is Hazy Shade of Winter by The Bangles. You can listen to the original version, which is by Simon & Garfunkel, but I personally like The Bangles version better.

Lots of love,
Madison

Comments

Popular Posts