review: black ice

My friend actually gave this book to me last summer before I moved to Charleston, and I can't believe I waited a whole year to read it (shout out to Viv for letting me borrow it for an entire year...I'm giving it back to you as soon as this post is published.) Becca Fitzpatrick is quickly becoming one of my guilty pleasure reads. I'm reading about 500 books at once right now, but I'm in the middle of the Hush, Hush saga and OH MY GOODNESS. And Black Ice definitely keeps up with the intensity of its fantasy counterpart.


Fitzpatrick's writing has a sort of Twilight-esque romance feel to it, but it's much better quality (sorry Stephanie Meyer) and adds in the heart-pumping twist that sometimes young adult novels lack. It's not really like anything I've read before. Black Ice explores the life of Britt, a girl intent on getting her ex back and returning her life to the perfect normal it once was. She plans a backpacking trip with her best friend Korbie (who just so happens to be her ex's little sister) in the mountains, hoping Calvin will tag along and be impressed with the survival skills she's achieved through her training. There's a bit of a twist, though, when Korbie and Britt get stuck in a snow storm and try to find a place to keep warm, ultimately leading to getting mixed up with criminals who take them hostage.

Becca Fitzpatrick does a great job of never letting the book get dull. Something new and exciting is added to the plot in every sentence, and it was very thrilling to read. The characaters are well-rounded and pretty likeable, although Britt's character is somewhat vague at parts and could have been described just a bit better, since she is the main character. I also felt that it might have done the plot well if we had seen a bit of her home life too. She talks a lot about how she lets her dad and her brother Ian take care of her, but we never get to see that, so it kind of took me by surprise when her and her captor were discussing topics like this. I really did enjoy it, though. It felt as if I were reading a thriller, mystery, and romance novel all at once, so I give it a big thumbs up. :)

Lots of love,
Madison

Comments

Popular Posts